27 Jul 2010

Caches, Splashes and Park and Dashes

Hiya and welcome to the latest blog update. A busy few days since the last blog, hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it.

Caches

Well, saying that Wemnog and I had hardly done any caches when I wrote the last update, since then we have done another 29. As we were up in Yorkshire and Humberside remapping we couldn't resist downloading some caches on to the 550t. We ended up doing a circular series called Denby In Style, by 3 Edges. This was a series of 6 caches and a bonus cache. It was a really hot day and although it only took us an hour to do we were certainly in need of refreshments aferwards. At one of the caches the horses were very interested in knowing what geocaching was all about and Keith ended up explaining to them. Sometimes I think his last name is Dolittle!

We have also been up to the camping field that we are going to use for the Summer's End event (more of that in Splashes section) and did some more caching in the area. The Peak District really is a rich source for many different styles of cache and we do enjoy doing them. We found some more of cats-eyes C.O.D. series as well as their other series ~ Guide Stoops.

If you ever get up to the Peak District, as well as all the other brilliant places and caches to find, I really do recommend finding some of theirs.

One of their caches was at Ashford In The Water and the photo shows a view of the sheep wash bridge from Ground Zero. This was a particularly poignant cache to go and find for us. Our good friend Howard loved Ashford In The Water and spent a lot of time there photographing it from every possible angle. Unfortunately he died of cancer earlier this year, so we did this particular cache in his memory.

On the way home from our little weekend break we did a few more caches, some of which were the Skeg to Ness series. We haven't actively decided to do this amazing series, but as some were near we couldn't resist. If you haven't heard of this series it is quite an amazing feat ~ 207 drive by caches over 193 miles. I know some cachers personally who have done the whole series. I believe that other cachers have also done it in one go!

Splashes


More news now on the Summer's End Camping Event. I have now put out two caches for this event, they are going to be published late evening on September 9th, so hopefully it will be someone who is at the event who will get the first to finds on them.
I have a third cache ready to go out, I had to wait for landowner permission before I could place it. The landowners involved are Natural England and just prior to writing the blog I was on the phone to them. They were a bit concerned as there are some open mineshafts near to where I want to place but after some very productive discussion they have agreed in theory to the cache being placed. I am just waiting for email confirmation and once I have that I can submit for review.

So why is this section called Splashes?
Basically because one of the caches that I have placed for the event requires people to wade out to it. When I was placing it I had the dogs with me. Meg and Rum didn't have a problem with this, but it was the first time that the pup, Fen, had encountered flowing water. She did a fair bit of splashing about, getting me wet as well in the process! The good news for Fen is that she soon mastered the doggy paddle! Here is a photo of Fen with Rum and Wemnog at a drier cache.



I am looking forward to reading comments about the cache that people have to paddle to. I have called it Bridge Over The River Wye, I couldn't resist the play on words.

Other news on the event front ~
The event coins have arrived, 20 trackable coins to give away in goody bags to all event attendees. I think that I may need to order some more though. Here is a picture of the event coin.


The farmer has now agreed that small caravans are allowed on the field for the two nights of the event.
We are having a barbeque on the Saturday night, if the weather is bad we have a marquee to put the barbeque in, it's gas, so no smoke issues.
The quiz sheet is finished and will be given out to all attendees, the one with the most correct answers gets a new trackable geocoin.
We are going to release 10 chinese lanterns at 10.00pm on the Saturday night ~ two reasons, firstly (officially) our way of celebrating 10 years of geocaching. Secondly, because I am a big kid and enjoy watching the lanterns flying!
Two caches already approved by reviewers for publication in time for the event.
One cache waiting for landowner permission.
More caches being put out nearer the time.

I am getting really excited about this event. I haven't organised anything like this for a long long time. Fingers crossed it will go well.

Park And Dashes

There is always a lot of debate on forums and meetings about the validity of cache and dash caches. A lot of people don't like the nano, micro, film canister caches where people can park up, grab the cache, sign the log and then drive off.

Personally I don't mind them and they do have their place in the caching community.
As much as I enjoy a good walk with the dogs and Wemnog, there are times that I just don't have time to do that, but know that there are caches in an area that we are in.

Furthermore, there are a lot of cachers around and about, either with small children or with disabilities who just can't walk, not even for a few hundred feet. Why should people who have difficulties, no matter what, be discriminated against? So for me, the cache and dash caches are just as important as those hidden deep in the countryside.
Sometimes they are even more difficult to find than those ammo boxes, or lock and lock boxes, hidden under a bush, stone, in the ivy etc etc. The people who place them use a lot of imagination and innovation in the containers and how/where they have been hidden.

Finally

Well I guess it is time to finish off for this session. As you will have noticed I have now put quite a lot of links at the top of the blog. I will talk more about the links in future blogs. One final question though.

Do you think that you will ever get to visit this cache and sign the logbook? Not sure that I will! GC26REM Would love to hear your comments about this one.

All for now...............Happy Caching.

No comments: